The sun is getting more aggressive year after year thus making people more predisposed to developing skin cancer. Judging by the statistics announced by the Skin Cancer Foundation, one out of five Americans evolves one of the types of this disease by the age of 70.
Why is the sun dangerous?
To make it clear why the sun is to blame, you should know about the two types of rays: UVA and UVB. UVA rays penetrate deep into skin and provoke the damage of the connective tissue, which results in fast aging of the skin. UVB rays affect only upper layers of the skin. They cause sunburns and increased pigmentation. Both types of sun rays are dangerous to our health as they may provoke the development of skin cancer.
How can one lower the probability of developing skin cancer?
The only way to minimize the influence of the sun on our skin is the usage of sunscreens with high SPF levels (not less than 30). More and more people start understanding the significance of using a sunscreen. According to the statistics, if applied daily, the sunscreen with SPF not less than 15, it may lower the risks of developing squamous cell carcinoma by 40% and melanoma by 50%.
What are the basics of using sunscreen?
The number of patients affected by the skin cancer is growing. Why does it happen so? The answer to this question hides in the way we apply sunscreen. It may sound weird, but the majority of people don’t use it correctly; hence the result is not the one they have hoped for. So, let’s have a look at the most important rules of sunscreen, which will help us to have a healthy skin. There are six of them:
- Choose sunscreen with SPF factor not less than 30. It helps to protect your skin from 97% of UVB rays. Nevertheless, people usually apply too little sunscreen, so they cannot count on a strong protection. Consequently, SPF 30 may work like SPF 15 if you haven’t used enough of it. At the same time, you shouldn’t chase after sunscreen with very high SPF factor. The difference in the percent of protection is miserable in comparison to the price you will pay.
- Apply enough quantity of sunscreen. Among the most widespread mistakes is the use of too little of sunscreen. In case you haven’t used enough sunscreen, there is no guarantee that your skin is protected well enough as there are certain conditions one should follow to get the level of protection written on a pack. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, an average adult person needs an ounce of sunscreen lotion to be applied on the whole body to get the needed result.
- Be attentive and select a broad-spectrum sunscreen. A lot of sunscreens contain only substances, which are effective against UVB rays. But, UVA rays are not less dangerous; in fact, they are the main cause of the majority of skin problems. So, when you buy sunscreen, seek for the words “broad spectrum”. It may guarantee you that you will be protected from both UVB and UVA rays.
- Apply sunscreen at least a quarter of an hour before going in the sunlight. The time between application and walking outside the house will give your skin time to absorb the lotion or crème to get the full effect.
- Reapply the sunscreen every couple of hours or after each bathing. Any sunscreen with any level of SPF works effectively for only two hours. When this time passes, your skin is at high risk of a sunburn. The lotion may be used even more often if you sweat excessively or go swimming.
- Use the sunscreen daily. The applying of sunscreen must become your usual routine. Only constant use of various lotions, cremes and sprays for protecting your skin from the influence of the sun may help you to preserve it healthy and beautiful.
We hope that our beauty tips will help you to take a proper care of your skin and preserve it young, beautiful and healthy for many years.